Project Title: Cooperative Agreement to Implement a National Produce Safety Program in Texas
Summary: The Texas Department of Agriculture-Office of Produce Safety works in conjunction with the FDA's goals
to develop outreach, informational materials, and compliance and enforcement activities. Supporting and conducting
educational activities and on-farm assessment ensures that the Produce Safety Rule's minimum requirements are
known, understood, and in place to encourage the safe production of fresh produce in the State of Texas.
Project Goals: To provide consumers with safe produce consistently within Texas, around the United States, and the
Expected Outcomes: Our expected outcome is to continue developing a program that efficiently and effectively
managed to reach farms that grow covered produce and provide consistent education, outreach, and successful on-farm
1. Assessment and Planning - To assess program activities and record the planning, progress, accomplishments, and
setbacks in achieving program objectives.
2. Program Administration - Provide program oversight while allowing for participation and input from program staff,
stakeholders, strategic partners, and FDA support personnel.
3. Education, Outreach, and Technical Assistance - To identify and connect with targeted produce industry
stakeholders representing diverse commodity groups, incorporating numerous growing regions, farming practices, and
various operational sizes.
4. Farm Inventory - TDA has established a mechanism to develop, periodically review, verify and update farm
inventory information and prioritize farms covered by the regulation.
5. Inspection Program - TDA has developed an assessment program that engages growers by emphasizing food safety
regarding public health.
6. Compliance and Enforcement Program – TDA works with growers to address all non-compliant issues during the
assessment and hold them accountable for corrective actions that prevent the observations' reoccurrence.
7. Produce Related Event Response Planning and Implementation – TDA ensures that food products are safe for
consumption. TDA will provide support in response to an investigation.
Total budget request: $1,277,761.60 per year x 5 years = $6,388,808.00