The proposed project is the continuation of the current project (NOFO CDC-RFA-GH15-1547) which is expected to close out in September 2020. This new project is aimed at strengthening Ministry of Health's Capacity (MOH-Cap) for HIV Diagnosis, Treatment, and Monitoring in the Kingdom of Lesotho. The project will start on 0ctober 1, 2020 and is expected to run for a period of five (5) years depending on the availability of funding from US government .
The overall purpose of this project is to increase the capacity of the Ministry of Health to meet its targets of reducing new HIV infections, eMTCT, reduction of TB/HIV mortality and improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery. Also, to ensure rapid scale up of HIV/TB program that has overwhelmed the diagnostic and treatment monitoring services due to inadequate infrastructure, human resource and interruptions of testing services due to equipment downtime and stockouts of commodities.
To achieve this, MOH needs to increase capacity, improve access and optimize HIV/TB quality of testing services through health system strengthening. The proposed project is expected to enhance capacity in providing HIV prevention, care and treatment services and strengthen health systems to achieve the 95-95-95 targets and maintain epidemic control in Lesotho. This will be achieved through:
• Expanding access to HIV/TB diagnostic and patient monitoring services
• Strengthening specimen referral systems
• Improving procurement and supply management of HIV/TB commodities
• Improving human resource capacity to effectively coordinate and manage the HIV and TB programs
• Supporting health systems strengthening for management of HIV services including quality improvement, reporting, and surveillance systems
This NOFO is aligned with the overall PEPFAR plan. All activities implemented under this NOFO will follow national policies, national HIV strategic plans, and guidelines for successful implementation of the project.