The Children's Policy Council of Dallas County, Alabama Inc. (DCCPC) and its Drug Free Communities Coalition through the STOP (Sober Truth on Preventing Underage Drinking Act Grant) will implement a program to prevent and reduce alcohol use among youth and young adults ages 12-20 in communities through out Dallas County Alabama.
Services to be provided:
Goal one of the grant is to Increase Community Collaboration. DCCPC will utilize the following strategies:
- Engage current members to establish an Alcohol Response Team to facilitate sharing information about efforts to address underage alcohol access
- Provide information to increase awareness of the coalition's underage alcohol use prevention strategies and seek improvements through Town Hall Meetings
Goal two of the grant is to Reduce Youth Substance Use. DCCPC will focus on reducing youth alcohol use and will utilize the following strategies:
- Provide information about Alabama's Open House Party Law to adults in Dallas County
- Enhance skills of parents to develop a parent network committed to not providing alcohol to youth in their homes
- Provide support by hosting drug-free alternative activities for high school students and family friendly community events
- Reduce access to alcohol by providing alcohol bottle locks and cabinet locks to encourage parents to lock up alcohol
- Change consequences by training law enforcement on proper party dispersal methods
- Change physical design by conducting a sticker shock campaign targeting prom and graduation seasons
- Change/modify policy by adding information on the Alabama Open House Party Law to registration materials for both school systems
Coordination planned with the appropriate state or local health agencies:
Cahaba Mental Health is a member of the Dallas County Children's Policy Council and has a representative attend meetings. They are our local health agency liaison between the coalition's work and state health agencies.